Monday, November 19, 2007

Crossword Puzzle Obsession

I have recently developed an obsession with solving crossword puzzles.

Did you know that some people devote entire blogs to the New York Times Crossword Puzzles! When I get stumped on a clue and google doesn't know or the crosses can't help I turn to these bloggers. It is from reading these blogs that I have begun to develop better crossword strategies and abilities (it really is like having a super power).

Here is what I have learned about crosswords:
1. Monday is the easiest puzzle - each day thereafter becomes a bit more difficult.
2. The most difficult puzzle is NOT Sunday - but Friday and Saturday.
3. The theme of the puzzle is part of the clues!
4. Using google to find an answer is NOT cheating (especially if the crosses are not helping)
5. Copying answers off someone else's puzzle IS cheating.

Today, being Monday, I was prettty happy. I solved both the LA TImes and SL Tribs puzzles in less than 10 mins each without google or help. And, drum roll please, I almost completely solved the NYT crossword - save for 4 or 5 empty boxes. (I then got some help to finish it.) My dream is to be able to solve the NYT puzzles ALONE! Maybe someday.

Mt other new obsession, learning how to change my blog design. Thanks to Heidi for the helpful links!

3 comments:

amanda jane said...

love the new format. I am curious, sounds like a great mind exercise. but I think I need to start on a much smaller scale - like a puzzle book for first graders!

Nicole Hernandez said...

I love crossword puzzles too! I can't get started on them though, because they will take up all my time. The New York TImes one I can only do on Monday and maybe on Tuesday-after that forget it. Could you send me some links on how to change my blog background? Thanks,
Nikki

Potters said...

I like jigsaw puzzels! I also like the new format.