Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Family Search Indexing

A friend in our ward passed on this information to me and I thought some of you might find it interesting as well. The church has started a new project asking people to work in their homes to index a variety of historical records, mainly census data. You work on your computer with one batch of 50 names at a time. There is a very simple program you download from the web and you are off. I believe the August Ensign has an article telling more.

I signed up yesterday to participate. While I was literally downloading the program I got a call from our stake coordinater introducing himself. He walked me through the setup and in 15 minutes I was extracting and indexing names. During 45 minutes of naptime I was able to complete almost 3 batches. I was told that in the past 8 months, more than 50,000 people have signed up to help with the project.

I really enjoy doing family history work but it is difficult to find the research time I need. It's also really hard for me to get to the temple right now. (At least a 4 hour excursion!) This helps me feel like I am doing something to contribute. If you are interested, check out this site. http://www.familysearchindexing.org/en/index.jsp It's easy and it will help researchers access names much more quickly!

1 comment:

amanda jane said...

Michele - you amaze me. You inpire me too. Love you!