Monday, December 8, 2008

Ådvent

This year we have been using our advent calendar to help us focus more on Christ.  We have two ways of doing this.  On December 1st we made a paper chain, on on each link we wrote Christmas is a Time of . . . . (happiness, charity, visiting, etc).  Each link has a scripture  that is tied to the daily theme.  As part of the bedtime routine we tear off another link, read the scripture together and sing a Christmas song.  

I also have an advent calendar that I bought at Starbucks.  It has all these cool little drawers that you turn around each night to slowly reveal a picture.  In the past I've filled each little box with a chocolate.  Of course, I usually had to fill it a few times since I would eat them, and then of course the kids start to fight over who gets the chocolate.  So, this year instead of filling my Advent calendar with chocolates, I filled them with an activity.  I choose different things such as take cookies to a neighbor or watch a Christmas movie and eat popcorn or go see the lights in our pajamas.  The kids get to read the activity in the morning and then look forward to doing it together in the evening.

6 comments:

Erica said...

I love the ideas!!! I guess it takes a lot more time on your part, but totally worth it because it puts the family in the "right" mood. Thanks for the great suggestions.

Serena Potter said...

Wow, you are so organized! We put up a tree last night. A few years ago Lori and Martin gave us a German advent - little cloth bags with numbers that you hang from a garland - fill each bags with treats. I like your idea - of course we are so behind we will be counting down the 12 days!

Nicole Hernandez said...

Are you supermom or what? How do you have time to do all that? You are amazing!

Michele said...

Nicole, it's not really about having time - its about being broke. We've got no money to spend and we aren't traveling anywhere this year. So I just wanted to make each day really count, and try to make it special.

Serena - Do the 12 days! The only way I remembered is because a friend mentioned she was doing Advent activities. So on December 1, I started putting stuff together. And its really simple stuff. Most of it we would be doing anyway, this just makes it seem fancier!

amanda jane said...

perfect. I am shamelessly going to do this. somehow.

The Hills... said...

Hey, hey. Thanks again for having us. Your kids are so stinkin cute. Wish we lived closer!