Friday, November 28, 2008

Let the Little Ones Come Unto Me

This year our family decided to celebrate Thanksgiving on Friday instead of the traditional Thursday. So today, we gather at the ward, thirty-seven strong to eat turkey and all the rest of the required delicacies. Everyone is pitching in with the food and entertainment. As part of this special day, we have the privilege of blessing my cousin's new baby. Which will be wonderful, since the entire family will be able to witness and partipate in her blessing.

And this brings me to what I am thankful for today. I am grateful for children. I am grateful for their innocence and exburance. I delight in watching them grow and learn. It is amazing to me how varied each little personality is from the moment they join this great human family.

We talk of children teaching us, and this is true. The experience of working with or raising children changes a person for the better. To be a caregiver for children requires us to develop and strengthen our best characteristics. We learn to love more, to have more patience, to teach, to serve. I find that my children help me to reflect on areas of strength and weakness and in doing so, I can resolve to be a better person. I understand myself better because I try to understand them.

I am especially grateful for my own beautiful children. I am overwhelmed when I realize that the Lord has entrusted me with the care and nurturing of these little spirits. I pray constantly to be up to the task and often fall short. Yet, despite my own shortcomings, my children are able to love me and forgive me. I love my little ones, and am grateful for the experience of motherhood.

No comments: