Thursday, May 22, 2008

Life Lesson in Empathy?


For several weeks now we have been watching a sunflower grow out of our strawberry bed. The seed most likely came from our birdfeeder, but wasn't planted on purpose. But we watched as the stalk grew and grew until it was as high as the fence. This week the bud began to form and we watched each morning in anticipation of the day it would open. Well today was the day! At breakfast, we looked out the window and saw the yellow petals beginning to unfurl. Happy day.

What followed was a fairly normal morning routine, take Addison to school, run a few errands and home by 9:20am.   As I pulled into the driveway I looked over at our sunflower and did a double take. The head was missing. Not broken or dead, but completely gone. Gnawed off by some fuzzy, tree-dwelling, fluffy-tail having rodent that in some circles passes for cute. I stared slack jawed for several minutes, then pulled the beheaded stalk out of the pot and began stomping around looking for a squirrel to whack. But alas, no squirrel was to be found - they must have seen me coming.

Now, I know many people whose gardens have fallen victim to various small critters.  And I've always felt badly for them, in a vague, pat-on-the-shoulder kind of way.  I guess you just never know until it happens to you.  

So say we all.

6 comments:

Potters said...

We feel your pain and understand the conflicted emotions.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. We used to have a little basil plant, and it was always getting eaten by aphids. I guess there's not much you can do when the only food for a city critter is in your backyard. :)

Laura said...

That happened to us recently. Sam was growing a strawberry plant, and it had one big strawberry on it, and then one day it was gone (probably a bird)! Sad!

Potters said...

After the piles, I do mean piles of hail and sleet we have had today I don't know if any of my plants will survive. Everything has the frozen lettuce look about it. I tried putting sheets over the apple tree, the tomatoes and peas, but I fear the worse.

Michele said...

We have truly had crazy weather the past few days! For us, it has been mostly random cloud bursts coupled with thunder and lightening. I've kind of enjoyed it.

Laura - sorry about your strawberry! We have strawberries too and I think little neighbor fingers sometimes eat them. Only of course if they can get to them before Elias does.

Jeni - poor little basil plant! You could try getting a little ladybug and tethering it to your plant. :) hahaha

Serena Potter said...

I've been watching two diligent chickadees building their nest, then caring for their young for many weeks now. Today we found a pile of feathers on the grass. There is now a single chickadee parent caring for the young. I nearly cried. Nature is cruel.