Sunday, April 13, 2008

Waiting for the Light

For me, life seems to work in fits and spurts of activity.  Most days are fairly boring.  Get the children dressed and fed, Addison off to school, dishes done, groceries purchased.  Most days I have time to complete a crossword puzzle, read blogs, or waste way too much time playing Boomshine. (yikes!) Only occasionally do I have days where everything seems to happen at once - PTA meetings, volunteering at school, toddler classes, people coming over to your house (that's the hardest one - can you say, quick, hide everything in the bedroom?) Young Women activities, and so on.  But not this week.  This week has seemed to pass by in slow motion, one day blending into the next.  This week, the theme of my life is waiting.

I like waiting for some things.  For example, waiting for bread to rise or cookies to bake.   I love waiting and watching as the seeds in my garden begin to sprout.  I don't mind waiting for my children to wake from naps. Sleeping children are absolute bliss.  This week I waited for Addison to run a 5K with her father and I waited for Charlie to discover the rabbit we were house sitting.  The poor cat, when he finally did discover the rabbit, he took off running for the hills.

Then there are the things I don't like waiting for.

Waiting for the next disc from season three of Battlestar Galactica.
Waiting for the next new episode of Lost.
Waiting to lose the baby fat (this may be more of an ignoring than a waiting? not sure.)

This week I waited for Mason to cut a new tooth (his third).  Most of this waiting took place in the middle of the night;  waiting for the crying to stop, waiting for him to be soothed back to sleep, waiting for the Tylenol to kick in. Waiting to lose my sanity.
  
We are also still waiting for a new job.   Douglas has a few contacts that are promising, and we are waiting to hear from them.  We are also waiting to see how long our finances can withstand the drought.  Speaking of jobs, I'll also be waiting for the results from my TB test so that I can start substitute teaching a few days a week. 

I'm also waiting for my voice to go back to normal.  I seem to have a bit of laryngitis this week. Rather than having a sexy, husky voice - I am told I sound more like Marge Simpson's sisters.   How nice. 

And I am waiting to hear from you.  Help me out - what are you waiting for?

8 comments:

Laura said...

I thought and thought and could not think of anything that I like to wait for..I guess I am a pretty impatient person. The only thing I could think of that I wish was slower was my babies growing up. They are getting so big way too fast, and I wish I could hold onto their little selves longer. Other than that, I want it NOW!

Nicole Hernandez said...

yahhh
Battlestar Galactica Rules!

heidi said...

I am waiting to feel better.
I am waiting for all my shows to be on this week.
I am waiting for Darin to return from New York.

Unknown said...

long run... I am waiting for May to end so I can have my grandkiddos back... waiting for Top Chef.. and got hooked on jon and kate plus eight... funneee stuff..
nancy w

Anonymous said...

Did someone say LOST? Haha. Jake and I will be finishing the 3rd season tonight (we've been renting them). Is there more after this?? Argh, I thought I would find out how it ends!

Haha, the Simpson twins are so amusing though. You could do impressions to entertain your kids. Then again, maybe introducing them to the Simpson twins is not such a good idea.

I am waiting until the day I get to see Hamish the bunny. He seems to be quite the fun little character.

Serena Potter said...

Wow, now that I think about it. I think I am for the most part past waiting! I remember how for years I felt we were always on hold. Waiting for Franz to graduate, waiting to hear about a job, waiting to know where we were going to live etc. Big waitings! Now, he has the job, we have the house, and I am loving what I do. I love my days of sleeping in, saying goodbye to the girls for he day, starting the dishwasher, taking my bath, deciding what to paint that day. I guess I do wait for the flowers to bloom, the seeds to sprout. I love that waiting. Don't get me wrong, we have major money stresses, but they are getting better and it just seems the waiting has diminished. Thank you for giving Hamish a holiday!

Chelsea said...

I'm waiting for Ryan to graduate, the neighborhood pool to open, and for Stephenie Meyer's next book...Breaking Dawn.

amanda jane said...

right now I am waiting for our travel mess to put itself away. waiting for blogs to load, waiting for time to post my own, waiting for spring - will it ever arrive on the wasatch front for good? that is just where I am today, there will be lots more waiting in tomorrow I am sure.