Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Societal Dilemma or Not?

Lately, I can't stop thinking about plastic bags.  They are a pernicious evil that everyone in the retail business wants to push on me.  Oh, you want to buy a bottle of water - here let me put it into a plastic bag for you.  At one store when I asked for paper, the bagger actually put my paper bag into a plastic bag.  They must have been worried that I wasn't doing my daily part in contributing to pollution and global warming.    

As a family we are going to try to completely eliminate the use of plastic bags this year.  So now we have some problem solving to do.  Do I have to give up freezer bags?  And what should Addi carry her sandwich in - perhaps a retro waxpaper wrap?  I'll need an alternative in the produce department for my apples and loose carrots.  And what about the meat department?  No more placing my meat in individual little plastic bags.  Then there is the dry cleaners - do I have to stop using their services - heaven forbid! Clothing retailers usually offer plastic bags as well. Target (one of my most frequented stores) doesn't offer paper bags.  And then there is the garbage bag question - what do you replace those with? 

I'm not sure yet how we will solve these dilemmas.  My guess is that we will probably discover that there is no dilemma - that it is all in our heads.   We'll start carrying reusable bags and feel slightly superior to "regular" shoppers as we're buying our disposable diapers and carrying them home in our cloth bags.

8 comments:

Serena Potter said...

You can put Addy's sandwich in a tupperware. You can take your TJ's bags to Target. Trash is a problem. The paper bags fill up fast and can get soggy. I suppose you could just put it right in the can. Can to can? My big push is saving water. I've been saving water from drinks, catching it in the sink, putting extra in my compost bucket then putting it on the compost too. Throwing washing water on plants etc. I need to sort out more.

Chelsea said...

You can buy reusable mesh bags specifically meant for holding loose veggies and fruits, they even have a drawstring. They aren't that expensive online and are usually sold alongside reusable bags for groceries. I don't know what to say about meat bags--that's harder.
One of my dilemmas is that by the time I put all of Ryan's food in reusable plastic containers, it becomes too bulky to fit into a reusable lunch sack. Tupperware just doesn't squish like plastic baggies do. Someone needs to invent a baggie-tupperware hybrid.
Can I join your anti-plastic challenge? Earth Day is April 22nd. It makes for a good kick-off day. Plastic-free from Earth Day 2008 to Earth Day 2009? What do you think?

Michele said...

Chelsea - I love it! Let's start a movement.

Craig said...

Not that I'm not in favor or your idea but..

"They must have been worried that I wasn't doing my daily part in contributing to pollution and global warming."

How do plastic bags affect global warming?

PS. we use sandwich size wax paper bags, they are great.

Michele said...

". . . it is estimated that the United States goes through 100 billion plastic bags a year, which take an estimated 12 million barrels of oil to produce and last almost forever. " NYT

The burning of fossil fuels, aka oil, to create oil and its bi-products (which is what we use to make numerous plastic items) is thought to contribute to increased levels of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases in the atmosphere.

Plastic bags are probably the least of our concern when it comes to global warming, but they are not completely innocent either. And while the author (me) took some literary license to create hyperbole, the problem of plastic trash floating in our oceans certainly cannot be exaggerated. See Addison's article, The Great Pacific Garbage Patch, for further info. http://lovetheplanetyoureon.blogspot.com/2008/02/great-pacific-garbage-patch.html

amanda jane said...

okay Michele - you are officially super mom. and about the lunch bag thing - at whole foods they sell these amazing lunch boxes, perfectly fit with its own tupperware and thermos. they were pricey, but I am sure well worth it if it all fits properly and saves on baggies. I really like where you are going, I may have to try it. if I can just get my head in gear to remember my reusables! I have until the 22nd to practice and gear up. I'll let you know...

heidi said...

I try I really do--I know I need to do much more but it is a lifestyle change for me. I bought the reusable bags today and felt pretty good about that. I just don't have the passion you do. That is my problem. But you are a very good example to follow, even it I just start slowly. I must thank you for doing your part, because without people like you, we wouldn't even think about how to change.

Have a great day! I WILL recycle today!

Anonymous said...

Jeni & I have become very good at using a reusable grocery sack and/or a backpack. Keeping a backpack at arms reach can be very handy for many things.
Sometimes when grocery shopping our cleaning products touch our produce. It hasn't killed us yet.
I know many people save their plastic bags for reuse but find themselves overwhelmed with extra plastic bags. If you make it a point to never use them, you'll still probably end up with too many.
We don't buy Tupperware either. Many products and takeaways come in plastic containers which work great for lunch containers, even if your lunch isn't a big tub of sour cream.

We are the age of the people who have everything and throw it away. The 'why should I care' attitude is why the next generations will not have the conveniences, luxuries and landscape that we do.