Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Three Days Until the GBBC

The 11th annual Great Backyard Bird Count begins Friday, February 15 and runs through March 1.  Whooo-hooo!  Don't you just want to whoop and holler a little bit?  I know this news sets my heart a-racing.

Wait - what's that?  You don't know what this is?  You've never participated before?!  Well, now's your chance.

The GBBC is an annual four-day nation-wide event that asks bird watchers of all ages and expertise to create a real-time snapshot of where birds are across the continent.  It takes as little as 15 minutes, it is free, easy and fun.  Not to mention, it helps the birds.

How do I do it - I know that you are dying to know!  Well, it is sooo easy. - 

1. Go to this website: The Great Backyard Bird Count.  Print a tally sheet for your area.

2.  Go outside for at least 15 minutes.  Count the birds you see.

3.  Enter your report on the website.

Even if you've never even noticed birds before, this is something that you can do.  Most people can identify at least the most common species, 
such as a house sparrow House Sparrowor an American robin.  American Robin

So give it a try, get the kids involved - make it a family date.  

After you give it a go - let me know what were the most interesting birds you saw.  I'd love to know!

To get you in the mood, here is a fun little test of your powers of observation - click here to play.  (I made it to eagle eye - but who's bragging? LOL)

5 comments:

Laura said...

k, I thought I was pretty good at games like that but I put it on the timer and it was HARD!

Potters said...

Hey, when you are here will you count my birds? We have a ton!

Megan said...

With a 30 second timer I'm only a fledgling.

Unknown said...

Hey I want to do the count the bird thing... but can I add the dozen peacocks that were on my lawn when I left for work today..???
nancy

Michele said...

I don't see any problem with counting birds you saw this week. I just wouldn't do the - do you remember two christmas's ago when . . .