Friday, February 1, 2008

Bird Nerd in Action

I saw these two beautiful birds in our neighborhood today.
(These are not my pictures - the light today is horrible, all grey and overcast.)

This is a Cooper's Hawk.  He looks like he's wearing a dark cap.
This guy has been hanging out in our neighborhod for a while, but I was only able to identify him today.  Several weeks ago, a random neighbor told me that he had called animal control on a vicious hawk, afraid that it was going to attack his cat.  I told him he should only worry if he had pet pigeons.  I don't think he believed me.



And this is an Anna's Hummingbird.  He was visiting our neighbors Bird of Paradise.  I guess they are the most common SoCal hummingbird.



4 comments:

amanda jane said...

so glad you posted this - we have a similar Hawk living around our house as well! we caught him de feathering a meal right on our driveway a couple weeks ago. I actually thought I needed to call your mom and ask about it! love that you two are so aware of our winged friends.

Potters said...

I love birds. I have so much fun watching them up here. I really want a bird feeder - or three. We have neighbours who have hummingbirds all the time. They are so pretty.

Unknown said...

The hummingbird pic is a great photo-you always take the best photos. Everytime I try to show my kids a hummingbird, they look off into space, "Where? Where?!" until it's gone. My little treat, I guess.

Potters said...

Sorry about that.

Checks should be made out to "Rim ASB-Musical Theatre", and we will have delivery by Valentine's Day.