Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Happy Anniversary Mom & Dad


37 Years and still going strong

There is a children's book called, Miss Rumphius, written by Barbara Cooney.  In this story the title character says: 
"When I grow up, I will go to faraway places, and when I grow old, I will live beside the sea."  
And her grandfather tells her:
"That is all very well little Alice, but there is a third thing you must do.  You must make the world more beautiful."
In life, not everyone has the chance to choose where they will live, or to travel, and not everyone chooses to make the world beautiful.  My parents have been very lucky and have worked very hard to have these things.  
Unlike Miss Rumphius, my parents have not chosen to grow old by the sea, but they have chosen the mountains and the Salt Lake Valley.  In this place they have worked hard to build a dream house. It is a beautiful and welcoming home where they gather their children, grandchildren and friends around them.  

My parents love adventure and have traveled to many places around the world together. Thailand, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Italy, Greece and so on. . . 
But mostly, I think my parents have made the world a more beautiful place.  They have created five wonderful children ( if I do say so myself) and now have 5 wonderful children-in-law and 7 beautiful grandchildren to boot.  My father has designed wonderful buildings and beautiful homes.  My mother is an artist in the garden, the kitchen and with quilting.  But more importantly, they have spent so many years serving their family, neighbors and community.  
My parents are a great example to me.  I want to wish them a wonderful 37th year together.

3 comments:

Potters said...

Hear Hear! From the Potters.

Anonymous said...

Amen. What lovely things to say!

Nicole Hernandez said...

what a wonderful tribute to your parents!