Saturday, January 23, 2010

They Call It The Blues

This has been such a sad month. First Douglas' father passed away on New Year's Eve. Then we lost our dear friend Nancy Wright to cancer. And the devastation in Haiti this past week has been heart-breaking.

Douglas has spent the past month in Pennsylvania trying to take care of his father's affairs. The more time he spends there, the more apparent it has become how seriously ill his mother is. His mother is having serious issues as well. It looks as though she has Alzeheimer's. Her disease is farther advanced than anyone had realized. Douglas feels as though he lost both his parents over Christmas.

Meanwhile back in Pasadena, I have been running solo with the kids. It sounds like it should be awful, but it hasn't been bad. We have a good babysitter and a wonderful ward who are very helpful. Douglas in Pennsylvania is not that much different from Douglas working in Santa Monica. On the upside, I can sleep in the middle of the bed!

Please don't ask me what we are going to do about Douglas' mother. I don't know. I don't know anything. And that, on top of everything else, makes me feel very sad.



5 comments:

Claudia said...

Oh, Michele.. my heart goes out to you! So sorry about Doug's Mom and also his Dad's passing. We'll be praying for you. Things have a way of working out and it will get better. You are so young to be going through this. Hang in there and know your Aunt and Uncle love you. Let us know if we can help in any way.

Kristy said...

I am very sorry for your loss. My love and prayers are coming from Utah. Take care

Kristi David said...

So sorry you're having such a hard time! Please let me know if I can help in any way. Babysitting, dinner, whatever!

Tami said...

Michele, you have been in our prayers. I have been thinking about you guys so much. Your situation has such a tender spot in our hearts as we have watched Dan's dad fight cancer. All is well now, but he is still young. I think it would be difficult to know what to do with a mother who is ill as well. Know that we are thinking about you and wish we could scoop you and the kids up and bring you back to Utah so we could all help. Hang in there and send our love to Doug and the kids. -Tami

sachia said...

Oh wow...that is heavy. I hear bits and pieces of how your doing from Elizabeth but I know you. Your are a survivor just on the fact that you are watching your three kiddos, going to school and so on and so on.

Hang in there lady and happy valentine's day.