Sunday, February 22, 2009

It's My Birthday - I Can Blog About What I Want

I don't know if you have ever played the game - if I were to start a charitable foundation . . .   Okay, maybe not.  But Douglas and I have played this game.  You should give it a try - it's great for a party.

For me, when it comes to the world's problems I am drawn to organizations that are concerned with hunger and that advocate for children.  It is absolutely unconscionable to me that in our modern world people go to bed hungry.   Of course, my parents, on their latest health kick, might argue a little hunger never hurt anyone.  I guess I am not taking about a little hunger, I am speaking of malnutrition and the economic inability to make basic food purchases.   Organizations like Heifer International, The World Food Bank, and the amazing resources of the Bishop's Storehouse of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints are where I like to donate money when I can.



3 comments:

heidi said...

Happy Birthday.

When I think about what I would like to do in this big huge world...it is the children that get me too. I would love to one day serve a Humanitarian Mission and work in third world orphanages.

Have a great day!

Nicole Hernandez said...

happy b-day! hope it was a good one.

Potters said...

Wow, one in eight are hungry. That is a lot of American's. We often focus on hunger out in the world - which we should - but I don't think people here at home are aware of how many of their neighbors are hungry. I had a girl in our ward write an article for the News letter about her work at the food bank. It was really interesting and I hope made people think and act on it. We need to have a party for all the missed birthdays!