Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Modern Medicine

This week I had an argument with a tooth of mine. For awhile, I thought the tooth would win, but thanks to the modern miracle that is dentistry - I shall triumph. Actually, I needed oral surgery on an old root canal. The surgery involved cutting the gums and drilling the bone. Good times.

As I sat in the chair at the endodontist, listening to the drill reverberate through my jaw bone and into my skull, I was so grateful that I couldn't feel a thing. I feel like it is a great blessing to live in modern times where so much physical discomfort has been removed from daily life. This tooth for example, I don't have to live in excessive pain, waiting for the tooth to just decay and fall out. I don't have to have my tooth extracted after taking a big swig of whiskey. And even though I am a bit swollen and bruised right now, it will pass easily because of the wonders of iboprofen and lortab.

I am thankful for modern medicine!

No comments: