Friday, October 10, 2008

Working Woman



This past week I have again started substitute teaching.  I am trying to work into a regular routine of working 3 days a week.  I am generally torn about this, on one hand I miss hanging out with the boys all day.  On the other hand, I don't have to spend everyday hanging out with the boys.

It seems that my working has solved a lot of Elias' bad behavior.  Apparently, I bore him.  Well no more!  He has entered into the exciting world of daycare where he runs wild with another little boy just his age.  When I pick him up, he and his friend are usually in their underwear, running around with plastic swords or dinosaurs or race cars, or, well, you get the picture.  In fact, the first 3 times I came to pick him up and take him home, I literally had to fireman carry him while he screamed - "I want to live here, I want to live here".  Hmm. good times.

But Mason still loves me.  He cries when I leave and smiles when I come to get him.  Maybe I only need one boy?

As for subbing itself, I actually really like it.  I'm also not too bad at it.  After the first day, I remembered - oh yeah, bring treats! With a little "incentive"  I usually can have a lot of fun with whatever lesson plans have been left.  And let me tell you - lesson plans for subs can be very hit and miss.  It's always a good idea to bring something extra.  Expecially when subbing middle school history classes. Like today, I watched a 50 minute video about Babe Ruth 3 times, one History Channel recording of the "Byzantine Empire" and the first half of the movie "War Games" starring a very young Matthew Broderick and Ally Sheedy.  I was really glad I had a bag of smarties and a good book.

4 comments:

Serena Potter said...

Are the treats for you or for the kids? Don't worry. Elias will grow out of this stage and before you know it he will start school. Then Mason will be in the same place!When the girls were that age I started volunteering at an Arts Center twice a week. It really gave me sanity to dress for work and not for house work, to talk to adults about art and make contacts. I think Mom's need to have their own "life" too.

Nicole Hernandez said...

I'm glad you like subbing-if you hated it (like I do) it wouldn't be worth it. I'm sure Marco would love a little boy to play with 3 days a week-he only has girls to play with. It sounds like Elias and marco would get along great. Can't wait to see you at THanksgiving!

Tami said...

I know the feeling all too well- so nice to get out of the house during the week and hoping your kids will miss you! There are days when I wish I were working a little bit. Glad to here that it is going well. Subbing- no set schedule- such a great option for a working momma! Good luck!

amanda jane said...

I can just picture it - Elias cracks me up. good luck with it all!