Thursday, October 23, 2008

It's The End of the World As We Know It? Or Do You Have Your 3 Month Supply?


We are on the verge of having a new president elect in only a few short weeks.  As the election draws closer, the claws are really coming out.  It's ugly out there people.  Ugly.  Lies, spin, and accusations are flying fast and furiously from both sides of the aisle.  And I have to ask, Can't we all just get along?

Being as this is an historical election and all, I thought perhaps it is time to really sit and ponder - Are We Ready for the END of the World?  Because apparently, that is what is going to happen immediately after the elections.

So I've been looking through our emergency preparedness supplies.  You may have noticed my link on the side to the Safely Gathered In blog.  I've been really motivated by their simple, straight forward approach.  They break everything down in sections and work on one simple thing at a time.  Currently, they are working on 72 hour kits.

My 72 hour kit is currently contained in a rolling garbage can which I keep near the car.  It seemed easier than in the storage area since then I would need a key to get anything out.  This way, no matter how little time I have, I can get to things easily.  Where do you keep yours?

Here is a 72 hour kit list, the items I have 'gathered' are in red'?  

container w/ wheels or sturdy backpack
1 change of clothes person (I have the kids, but not the grown-ups)
1 set of scriptures per family
1 flashlight per person
batteries
small first aid kit
personal documents (copies of birth certificates, ss cards, wills, patriarchal blessing, insurance card, etc.)
2 gallons water per person - MINIMUM
$100 cash (change and small bills)
ax & shovel
bucket
battery powered radio and light
small sewing kit
Food
2 light sticks
hand warmer/ canned heat
blankets or sleeping bags to be accessible at moments notice
1 small toothbrush per person
toothpaste, soap & shampoo (travel size)
silver foil emergency blankets
mosquito repellent
entertainment (crayons, card games, pencil paper, etc.)
camp stove
work gloves (2 per family)
mess kits
pet supplies
candles, matches
aluminum foil
can opener
disinfectant
garbage bags
tarp


So TAG - What do you have ready?

8 comments:

Chelsea said...

I have a closet dedicated to emergency preparedness. That's where I keep our 72 hour kits and our camping supplies (which double as emergency supplies). We have lots of food storage, but we need more water. I've been putting off buying the giant blue water drums, but you've reminded me that I should just do it. I love the 72 hour kit in rolling garbage can idea. It's simple and easily accessible (like you said).

Anonymous said...

So I take it it's not a good time to come back to the states?

Potters said...

I may be stating the obvious, but you just posted a notice to everyone that you have cash near your car...we'll be there in two hours.

Michele said...

Notice the cash is not in red! Boy, I would love to have $100 in cash laying around - bra ha ha!

douglas hunter said...

yea, I'll bet you would love to have $100 cash. none for you!

Potters said...

We have the large duffle bag your parents gave us for christmas. We have done most of the things on the list. When you mom was doing the family book for our reunion, I scanned the birth certificates, marriage certs, photos etc then. Well, we have all of that on a CDin the bag, and are working on getting all our insurance info scanned and on hard drive or CD. Every so often we down load all of our family pics so they are ready to go.

Potters said...

One more thing, a friend suggested using General Conference as a bench mark for updating your kits - making sure food is good, water, clothes still fit etc. Twice a year works perfect.

Sherry Carpet said...

oooh, i did have some cans of peaches. but then i ate them. i used to be so careful about this, and then we moved...three times in 2 years. time to start over.