Saturday, September 27, 2008

Endlessly Creative and Compassionate

Tonight I was privileged to attend the general Relief Society Meeting for the women of the church.  It was wonderfully uplifting.   I got to enjoy the company of many amazing women, and was spiritually fed in the process. 

Here is the truth.  Most of the time I miss these meetings.  Usually I have good intentions, but then life gets in the way, and I just don't go.  But yesterday, my friend called me up and said, let me pick you up, we'll go together.  At that point we were both committed - and I am so glad. I have never not been inspired or spiritually renewed when I attend these types of meetings, and yet, I can always find an excuse not to go.  And I know that I am not the only one, several friends there said,  "I almost didn't come, but . . ."  There is an adversarial force working to keep us women from these meetings, a force that knows that a spiritually renewed woman is a strong woman.   Strong women = strong family.

For me, the right spirit, the Holy Spirit, was very present at this meeting.  I was once again converted to the truthfulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ and the power and purpose of the Relief Society.  

I was struck by several thoughts and feelings tonight as I watched the satellite broadcast.  The first thought was, Wow, Utah sure has a lot of white people.  But once I got past that little idiosyncrasy I was able to focus better.  Each member of the Relief Society Presidency spoke in turn.  Sister Beck began by expressing her love for the sisters around the world.  Her voice welled with emotion, and I knew that she truly loves the women of the church and desires to serve and guide this organization. 

As the cameras panned over the choir and the completely full conference center I thought, look at all those women!  What beautiful daughters of God.  There are so many of us, and God loves each one individually.   What a force for good we could be in the world - what a force for good we ARE.  Isn't that amazing?

The final speaker this evening was President Uchtdorf .  If you didn't get a chance to hear him, read his talk when you can.  He reminded us that we are the spirit daughters of an endlessly creative and compassionate God.  And having been created to experience a fullness of joy, we also have the capability and the obligation to emulate our Father in Heaven through the things we create and the compassion with which we live our lives.  Wow.

So now, I am spiritually revved up.  I am totally pumped!  I want to create something beautiful, I want to have more compassion, I want to serve more.  And I am writing this all down tonight, so that when I wake up in the morning I can read this and not forget. My love to you all.


2 comments:

Serena Potter said...

Unlike you I totally forgot about the meeting! I ran into the R.S. president in the grocery store last night and complimented her on her great outfit and she asked where was I? I missed a great meeting! I'm glad you could make it and I will check out the talks online.

Congrats to Doug on his recent good fortune. Also, we loved listening to him on the radio Friday night.

Miss you!

me

Nicole Hernandez said...

I watched it at home on KBYU-I thought it was awesome, although I think it would have been better watching it among other sisters.