Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Vale Television


I really appreciate the various suggestions for a preschool name.  Unfortunately, there was no clear cut winner.  Though I did get a good laugh over Live and Learn and Demure Daycare.  "I signed my precious child up for preschool, and it was a disaster.  Oh well, live and learn."  or "We think our child is much too outgoing and is lacking subtlety, so Demure Daycare sounded like an answer to prayers."  I may be leaning towards Addison's suggestion of Happy Hour.  We'll see.  I think I still have time.  The preschool portion of my plan will not get into full swing until Fall 2009.  I'll start my enrollment drive in January and February of next year.  So I'll need a name before then.

Now that I have been spending so much time preoccupied with plans for educating little ones, I have been painfully reminded of an area in which I have totally let go of all convictions and boundaries.  

Television.  

Television has become like child care crack to me.  It is the babysitter that keeps the two-year-old happy so that I can mess around and solve my crosswords.  It is the, get-out-of-my-hair-I-don't-want-to-have-to-entertain-you pill.  Oh, bad mom, bad mom.  

Any parent who has not been hiding in the backwoods has heard that children under the age of two should not even see a television turned on, ever.  (There is even a campaign on this subject.)  Not to mention the first three years of life being the most important and blahedy, blah, blah.  So I've had just a little bit of guilt.  But no more - this morning I took the rabbit ears off of our TV (don't laugh at me, we refuse to pay for cable.), walked outside and tossed them in the dumpster.  Bye, bye television.

I'm thinking that there will be a short mourning period.  But we should fill it up pretty quickly with web surfing and video watching.  In case you were worried.

7 comments:

Potters said...

Happy Hour? Are you going to ply the children with martinis?

amanda jane said...

go Michele! yet another thing to admire about you! our bunnies broke thanks to little hands, but we are still getting PBS kids so all is well at our house. John and I just watch lots of internet TV - me not so much but he is loving Miami Vice while he works! can't wait to see you this week.

Thomas said...

I too am battliing the tv and kids. Ugh. summer months are hard. By the way I love the name happy hour! Are you still doing music class this summer? hope all is well!

Michele said...

Happy Hour cracked me up when Addison suggested it! Perhaps not martinis, but how about Shirley Temples and Rob Roys?

Kath - We're taking a music class break since the church building is officially closed until repairs are made.

Tami said...

I must admit that I don't know what would I do with out PBS kids in the morning? The full line up allows me to shower and get all of my chores done around the house. I can tell time in the morning by seeing if it is Super Why or Sesame Street. (SAD) What's a busy mom to do- okay maybe we should turn it off too! Good choice- your kids will find better things to do! You are an example to us all!

Diane said...

Hi there! I found your blog on Megan's links. That's great that you are starting a daycare! I love your blog and all the cute pics!

Anonymous said...

So if you stopped watching the boob tube, how come we haven't seen a post in a while? :) How are you?