Friday, January 25, 2008

Shaklee

What I used to want in a cleaning product was a degreaser and disinfectant. I never really thought much about what ingredients were used to make "clean" happen. But the more educated I become about the chemicals we bring into our home, the more concerned I am about what those ingredients are. Especially when you see crazy statistics like:

*90% of all poisonings happen in the home
*Women who work in the home are 54% more likely to develop certain types of cancer
*Organic pollutants levels are 2 to 5 times higher inside your home than outside
*Common cleansers give off fumes that have been linked to asthma in children (my dh has asthma)

What really drove it home for me was when Elias walked up to me the other day with a rag in one hand and a spray bottle of Lysol in the other. He was going to clean the windows, just like he's seen his sister and me do. Yikes! Nothing more terrifying than a two-year old with a bottle of potentially toxic poison. (Since I'm a mind-reader, I know a few of you are asking Why was the Lysol where he could reach it? The answer is - I'm a bad mom.)

It was from this point that I looked into the Shaklee products (recommended to me by my good friend Valerie and sold to me by the sweetest lady in the world, Muriel Donaldson) They are an environment friendly company, similar to BioKleen or Seventh Generation. All of their products are nontoxic, safe for children, biodegradable and, most importantly - work well. But I think one of the nicest parts is that all their products are sold as concentrates so they last forever! You mix the solutions yourself with water and literally never use more than 1/4 tsp per 16 ounces of water. Brilliant.

So, I now want significantly more in a cleaning product. I want a non-toxic, biodegradable, product that is safe for children and adults alike. I want to spend less for more, and I want the product to clean as well or better than other cleaners. And now I know that I'm not asking for too much at all!

BTW If you think you are interested in Shaklee products, now is the time to buy! Until January 31st the starter kit is being offered at a 33% discount because it was promoted on the Oprah show. So for $89.60 you can get the kit that contains 15 different products including cleansers, dish soap and laundry soap. Its soo worth it.

5 comments:

Michele said...

I guess this sounds a lot like an advertisement, but I am very excited about making a good change. So bear with me :)

Thomas said...

Michele thank you for this. I too was having Ella and Thomas clean the windows with windex yesterday and Thomas was sneezing and its smell was making me sick to my stomach. I have made the switch to organic in most of my cleaning products but I really can't find one that I feel cleans well. I'll have to try it.

Nicole Hernandez said...

Ok, you have never heard of Shaklee before? really?

Unknown said...

Hey there, the link to Muriel's website is http://www.shaklee.net/feelgood

The pink scrubbing stuff is amazing on a stove which should be cleaned more often than it is.

Michele, missing you!

Michele said...

I had really never heard of this before. Just another example of how clueless I am about most things - I really don't pay attention to anything but myself. Very sad, but very true. Oh, speaking of cleaning windows - Addison samples the products on our windows and took pictures. She's going to put them on her blog.