Saturday, December 29, 2007

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year



For the first time in seven years, we had a Christmas at home. This hasn’t happened since Addison was one year old. (That was the year my family went to Thailand for Christmas.) So this year, we didn’t travel across country. We didn’t have to pack our stockings and presents in suitcases. We sat around our very own tree that Addison helped decorate and put on new pajamas and read Twas the Night Before Christmas and the story of Jesus’ birth as told by Luke. Douglas and I tucked the children up in their own little beds and quietly played Santa Clause to the light of a dozen candles and the glow of our tree. On Christmas morning, we gathered the children up in our bed before letting them see what Santa had brought them. And in the afternoon, we spent with the Potters. (We always enjoy their family! And thanks again for sharing my DDR prowess with the world!) It was a very sweet, subdued day.

I realize though that I really miss my family at Christmas time. Our Christmas passed almost a little too quietly for my taste. My idea of Christmas is very tied up in the noise of family and children, too much of my mom’s great food, the mess of wrapping paper everywhere and an afternoon spent trying out everyone’s new toys. But mostly, my memories are centered around the laughter, chatter, and the silliness, that is part of a big, wonderful, messy family.

I know that we will be spending more Christmas’s at home. This is good. We will just have to get better at it – after all, we’ve had very little practice! And what do I ultimately want from our holiday season? It is as simple as family, friends, and the love of Christ to fill our hearts and our home.

We love you all and miss you all!

4 comments:

Nicole Hernandez said...

Love all the pictures-Mason is so adorable! I just want to squeeze him! Glad you had a good Christmas. It's nice to have a mix of being with your own little family at home, and then going to the grandparents house for all the crazy fun. Don't know where we'll end up though, so we enjoy it while it lasts.

amanda jane said...

we miss you to! glad you got to have a quiet Christmas, it makes you appriciate the noisy ones that much more!

dietcokegrrl said...

Super cute picture in front of the Christmas tree!! How did you manage that? I've been having serious photo drama (see my most recent post for more info).

Cute blog! I just found it from Valerie's.

Anonymous said...

We really missed seeing you guys and the rest of the family for Christmas. It was SO nice to receive a call from you though, thanks for thinking of us. The kids are so cute in their Christmas pajamas!